First Person Life

2006-01-19

Vatican Newspaper says Intelligent Design - not Science

Apparently, the official Vatican newspaper agrees (USA Today) that Intelligent Design isn't science. That's fine, I don't think it's science either.

But it's what they do say that frigntens me. I mean, when you have things like:
"God in his infinite freedom continuously creates a world that reflects that freedom at all levels of the evolutionary process to greater and greater complexity," he wrote. "He is not continually intervening, but rather allows, participates, loves."


Ok, I'm confused. How is it that God "continuously creates a world" without "continually intervening" in that same world? What am I smoking that causes me to think this is one of the most severe cases of double-speak I've ever read in theology.

And then, to concieve of God as, "an encouraging parent"? What kind of babble is that? Why exactly must I, "move away from the notion of a dictator God or a designer God?" I admit, God is not, "a Newtonian God who made the universe as a watch that ticks along regularly." But, that doesn't mean he's simply dad sitting in the bleachers with a pom-pom, a bag of chips and a beer while I'm sweating it out on the court of life either!

I believe in a God who created the universe and created me. When he created the universe, he also created human beings with an ability to choose whether or not to listen to Him and obey Him as the creator of the universe. They chose not to. As such, the whole of creation "went to hell in a handbasket." This is the world we live in today. However, he also promised that he would INTERVENE in the world and send someone to make it possible for us to live eternally with Him in spite of the fact that we screwed up. He sent his only begotten son into the flesh. Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary, lived a life of perfect obedience, suffered and died taking upon himself the guilt of all mankind (every single human being). On the third day, he rose from the dead proving that He was the Messiah.

I believe in a God who constantly intervenes in the affairs of this world through the Means of Grace. Namely it is through His Holy Word spoken by the prophets and the evangelists and recorded in Scripture as well as Baptism that He proclaims the precious truth of this Gospel of Reconciliation to all mankind. And it is the Supper that He instituted "on the night in which he was betrayed" in which we eat his body and drink His blood that was sacrificed on the cross to make atonement for our sins.

Anything else is to portray God as an impotent cheerleader or an absent watchmaker. Or at the very least, a liar. Because these are the things He tells me about Himself in Scripture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home